You're ready to buy a home, but how do you determine if you qualify for VA Loan benefits? If you fall into one of these three groups, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility.
VA Loan Qualification Requirements for Veterans or Active Duty
- Served 90 days active service during wartime
- Served 181 days active service during peacetime
National Guard and Reserve Requirements
You must have served at least six years and meet one of the following critera:
- You were honorably discharged
- You have been placed on the retired list
- You were transferred to the Standby Reserve, Ready Reserve other than Selected Reserve after honorable service
- You're currently serving in the Selected Reserve
Eligibility for Spouses
- You're widowed and your spouse was a veteran who died in service or from a service-related disability
- Your spouse is a service member who is missing in action or a prisoner of war
- You're the surviving spouse of a deceased disabled veteran whose disability may not have been the cause of death.