6 New Years Resolutions for Your Home
It's the end of the year and you know what that means. It's time to set some New Years Resolutions. Here are our goals for 2017.
- Clean: Start with a deep clean of your entire home. If that intimidates you, you might want to try a maid service initially. Once you have your base, get on a good cleaning schedule. You can laugh, but chore charts aren't just for kids. They're a great way to keep yourself on top of things and to divide the chores evenly between you and your partner. Which means you can say goodbye to the fights over who always does the dishes or who never takes out the trash.
- Maintenance: it's easy for small home maintenance tasks to slip your mind, but neglecting them can often end up costing you in the long run. If you're a first-time home buyer and aren't sure where to start, check out our first-time home buyer guide to home maintenance.
- Tackle that DIY project you've been wanting to do: There are two types of people in this world: the ones that have magazine-worthy homes and the ones that having Pinterest boards full of good intentions to make their homes magazine worthy. If you're in that second category make this the year you tackle one of those DIY projects to help make your home look more like your Pinterest board. It might be as simple as choosing a great new color for a room or as complex as tiling your bathroom. Just remember to take it slow and don't bite off more than you can chew.
- Fresh paint: Don't spend another year feeling ambivalent about your paint colors. Check out some of 2016's best colors or be on the cutting edge with some of these 2017 paint colors.
- Get that hammock: Or fire pit. Or container garden. Or whatever it is that will make your outdoor space a place you want to hang out. Experts say the time away from screens is good for you. And there are lots of ways your outdoor space can help you bond with your kids.
- Refinance: True, mortgage rates have gone up in the past month. But 4% is still pretty low and you might want to take advantage of it in case those rates increase in 2017. Use our refinance calculator to see how much you'll save if you check this one off your list soon.
What are your goals for your home in 2017?