How Do I Get My Certificate of Eligibility?

Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will prove to your lender that you're eligible for a VA Loan. Before you can be granted your COE, you'll need to prove your--or your spouse's--honorable service. 

Documents needed to apply for a COE

Gathering your information to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility is relatively straightforward and easy. In general, you'll need to show:

  • Name
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Time and dates served
  • Evidence of honorable service 

You can find the requirements for your type of service at the Department of Veterans Affairs site. 


Applying for a COE

Once you have all your proper documentation on hand, you'll need to apply for your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs. There are several ways you can apply.